Malaria Costing Tool
The Malaria Costing Tool estimates the resource requirements of proven malaria interventions over a period of time. The tool is based on a review of costing studies and an extensive consultation with malaria experts. It provides a simple user interface requiring only basic technical and computer skills. The tool is intended for use by malaria control program staff as well as other individuals working in the field of malaria.
In the tool, the following preventive and curative interventions are covered: insecticide-treated nets (ITNs), targeted indoor residual spraying (IRS), source reduction, intermittent preventive treatment (IPT), antimalarial case management, community/home-based antimalarial treatment, treatment of complicated malaria, and refugees and internally displaced persons. The tool estimates the costs of various resources used by the selected interventions. In addition, some of the crucial health system costs have been covered. The costs are calculated for the national level.
- Tool Designer Organization:
- World Health Organization
- The Tool [in English] [zipped file 3.5 M]
Guidelines [in English]
- Tessa Tan-Torres, WHO
Summary of main features
- Determine the financial costs associated with scale-up of malaria interventions in a specified period of time.
- Scope of interventions
- From preventive to curative, including programme activities in the costing process.
- Stream of inputs and costs by year and by intervention in USD or national currency units (NCUs).
- Time frame
- Short-term to medium-term.
- Potential users
- Malaria program managers, consultants, and academics.
- Skills required
- Degrees in epidemiology, economics and statistics are useful but not necessary. Essential is a familiarity with local epidemiology of malaria and programmatic considerations, plus the ability to use spreadsheets.
- Type of software
- User manual available?
- Type and length of training required
- No formal training necessary.
- Available languages
- Country applications
- Zambia, Mozambique, Angola.
- Last update and version
- Version 1.2, April 2006